About this role:
Wells Fargo is seeking a Lead Counsel to join the legal team supporting the Wealth and Investment Management (WIM) Investment Solutions business unit. This is the business unit responsible for the offering and distribution of investment products, including Wells Fargo's investment advisory programs, to Wells Fargo wealth management clients. The Wells Fargo Investment Institute (WFII), which serves as the Chief Investment Office, is also a part of this business unit. This senior attorney will join an established and collaborative team of 8-10 attorneys and will primarily support the investment advisory programs and WFII. This attorney will work closely with two additional lawyers supporting these areas. This will include, among other issues, advising on (i) the structuring and offering of investment advisory wrap fee programs, including a digital/robo offering, and including support of applicable client facing documents, such as client agreement and ADV Part 2s, (ii) a wide variety of Investment Advisers Act issues, and (iii) investment adviser marketing materials and FINRA research issues.
In this role, you will:
- Serve as senor lawyer advising the business on a complex offering of investment advisory wrap fee programs to retail clients, particularly Rep as Portfolio Manager/FA Directed programs and Unified Managed Account programs.
- Provide guidance to WFII, in its capacity as the Chief Investment Office, on a variety of issues related to ESG investing, development and distribution of investment guidance and related research, creation and offering of model portfolios and due diligence best practices.
- Provide advice on legal and regulatory issues impacting investment advisers, particularly those that are dually registered.
- Collaborate closely with lawyers on the same team and across the WIM legal division, as well as members of the Compliance and Risk teams.
- Lead complex initiatives with broad impact and act as a key participant in large scale planning
- Handle matters that have a significant impact on the Company's operations, strategies, or profitability
- Provide legal advice on matters for management of the Corporation and its subsidiaries
- Serve as a legal advisor to the businesses within Wells Fargo
- Review and analyze complex large scale or long term challenges that require in-depth evaluation of multiple factors including intangibles or unprecedented factors
- Represent of the Company in highly complex litigation, negotiations, settlement discussions, and claims related legal issues
- Manage highly complex claims and litigation
- Draft complex legal documents, review and negotiate documents prepared by outside counsel
- Identify and analyze complex legal issues, develop conclusions and make recommendations for issue resolution
- Provide substantive legal advice on matters for more experienced management of the Corporation
- Develop and lead implementation of strategic business initiatives, and lead work team to meet deliverables and drive new initiatives
- Educate, train, and supervise less experienced attorneys within the Legal department
- Collaborate strategically with peers, colleagues and mid-level to more experienced managers to resolve issues and achieve goals
- Lead projects, teams or serve as a peer mentor
- Develop relationships with and provide guidance to more experienced leadership, including executive officers, on issues that may present legal, regulatory, compliance, or reputational risk to the Company
- Partner with business leaders and management of other corporate departments to develop and implement risk management programs
New York, New York Pay Range: $144,400 - $300,000 Annually.
Required Qualifications, US:
- 5+ years of Law experience, or equivalent demonstrated through one or a combination of the following: work experience, training, military experience, education
- Active State Bar membership or the equivalent in a country outside the United States
- Prior experience at a dually registered broker-dealer/investment adviser, specifically advising on wrap fee investment advisory programs.
- Substantial experience advising on Investment Advisers Act issues, including marketing, custody, solicitation and registration related issues.
- Demonstrated ability and interest in learning new areas of the law and financial services industry.
Due to a city-wide mandate in New York City, all individuals who perform in-person work or interact with the public during business must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. At this time, this position falls under the scope of this mandate
Pay Range$144,400.00 - $300,000.00 Annual
We Value Diversity
At Wells Fargo, we believe in diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace; accordingly, we welcome applications for employment from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, individuals with disabilities, pregnancy, marital status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Employees support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in US: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.