About this role:
Wells Fargo is seeking a Senior Counsel in Legal as part of the Corporate Investment Banking Legal Division.
The successful candidate will serve as a legal advisor in the Structured Products section of the Corporate & Investment Banking & International division of the Legal Department, providing support to the following lines of business: Structured Products Group, including Asset Backed Finance, portions of Commercial Real Estate, Wells Fargo Home Lending and portions of the Investment Portfolio, and certain other lines of business in the context of any structured products transactions being executed by the related lines of business. The types of transactions within coverage primarily include securitizations of financial assets distributed by Wells Fargo Securities or originated/sponsored by Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. or its subsidiaries, structured repurchase facilities, warehousing facilities and other structured transactions. The successful candidate will have several years of experience drafting and negotiation legal documentation for structured products and/or securitization transactions.
Specific responsibilities include (i) providing substantive legal advice on a variety of laws and regulations relative to Wells Fargo's structured products capital markets and investment banking activities; (ii) working directly with business clients and developing an in depth understanding of business unit activities and products; (iii) identifying and analyzing complex legal issues, developing conclusions and making recommendations for issue resolution; (iv) drafting and negotiating complex legal documents; (v) reviewing and negotiating transaction documents prepared by outside counsel, including securities offering materials and contractual arrangements for complex asset securitization and financing transactions; (vi) engaging and managing outside counsel; (vii) assisting with internal and external examinations and investigations as well as bankruptcy and litigation proceedings; (viii) providing guidance to other support partners (i.e., compliance, credit, operational risk) and enterprise/wholesale groups related to matters associated with structured transactions; and (ix) following and ensuring consistent application of Legal Department policies and procedures to manage Wells Fargo's legal matters, outside counsel and legal expenses.
For additional information on this line of business, refer to the external Careers Site at Wellsfargo.com/career.
In this role, you will:
- Provide guidance to management on legal and regulatory matters impacting business strategy and policy or claims against the Company.
- Proactively identifies policy, legal, and regulatory matters pertaining to area of expertise, and evaluates the legal risk and impact.
- Independently resolve moderately complex issues and lead team to meet deliverables
- Exercise considerable discretion and may serve as the primary legal contact for assigned clients.
- Collaborate within the department and across business and staff functions to address legal and risk issues in a manner consistent with the best interests of Wells Fargo.
- Coach, mentor and provide oversight with less experienced attorneys or staff
- Lead initiatives of varying scope and complexity.
- 4+ years of Law experience, or equivalent demonstrated through one or a combination of the following: work experience, training, military experience, education
- Active State Bar membership or the equivalent in a country outside the United States
- Experience as a practicing attorney
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of structured products and the related regulatory environment
- Substantial knowledge/experience with representing issuers or underwriters in securitizations and/or structured products
- Experience analyzing legal and regulatory issues in area of practice and provide effective counsel to clients on complex legal matters.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a complex environment with a high degree of collaboration.
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
Pay Range$120,400.00 - $250,000.00 Annual
We Value Diversity
At Wells Fargo, we believe in diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace; accordingly, we welcome applications for employment from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, individuals with disabilities, pregnancy, marital status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Employees support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in US: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.