About Wells Fargo
Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) is a leading financial services company that has
approximately $1.9 trillion in assets, proudly serves one in three U.S. households and more than 10% of
small businesses in the U.S., and is a leading middle market banking provider in the U.S. We provide a
diversified set of banking, investment and mortgage products and services, as well as consumer and
commercial finance, through our four reportable operating segments: Consumer Banking and Lending,
Commercial Banking, Corporate and Investment Banking, and Wealth & Investment Management. Wells
Fargo ranked No. 41 on Fortune’s 2022 rankings of America’s largest corporations. In the communities we serve, the company focuses its social impact on building a sustainable, inclusive future for all by supporting housing affordability, small business growth, financial health and a low-carbon economy.
About Wells Fargo in India & Philippines(I&P)
Wells Fargo in India & Philippines enables global talent capabilities for Wells Fargo Bank NA., by supporting business lines and staff functions across Technology, Operations, Risk, Audit, Process Excellence, Automation and Product, Analytics and Modeling. We are operating in Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Chennai & Manila locations.
Control Management Office
Each of Wells Fargo’s business groups and enterprise functions includes a dedicated Control Management team, led by a control management executive who is accountable to the company’s Chief Control Management Executive.
Wells Fargo is seeking a Control Management Executive reporting jointly to the Head of India and the Philippines as well as functionally to the Global Head of COO Control. This is a functional head and front-line Control leadership role responsible for leading the Control organization supporting 45k+ employees in India and the Philippines and 230k+ employees globally. It sits on the I&P Operating Committee and is a standing attendee of multiple local legal entity board meetings. This is a critical leadership role for one of the largest banks in the world and will be expected to work and support some US hours.
The successful candidate will:
- Drive a consistent operating and delivery model across a team of approximately 1500 professionals within India and the Philippines and provide oversight for (business aligned, RCSA, Issue Management, and Control Evaluation resources, which is expected to grow to 400 FTE by next year.
- Operate as a member of the Chief Operating Office Control Management leadership team.
- Partnering with their relevant business groups to develop and maintain a strong control environment leading to the early identification and sustainable mitigation of operational risk. Responsible for Risk Identification & Assessment, Control Design & Evaluation, Issues & Control Deficiencies, Control Governance & Reporting, and Control Programs.
- Enable, support, and drive business compliance and effectiveness as it pertains to local laws, rules, regulations, and unique processes.
- Supports the development of a strong risk and control culture within the group
- Escalates concerns and issues to senior leadership and the Board as appropriate, following established protocols
- Manage and develop a rapidly growing (300%+ last two years) and large (~1500 FTE) team of multiple levels of directors and senior managers with focus on delivering service of moderate to high complexity for cross functional stakeholders all business and functions (i.e Tech, Finance, HR) with teams located in Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, and Manila
- Develop and deliver clear roles and responsibilities and effective governance for I&P with the ability to understand and focus on country specific nuances in the Philippines as part of WF globally
- Provide vision and set direction for multiple, high risk and high impact initiatives and teams to achieve long term strategic objectives with broad and companywide impact by sharing key insights within Escalations functional area in order to define the Customer Care vision, strategy, and mindset, activating that vision with supporting capabilities, frameworks, and technology.
- Partner with leaders and other executives on the development of high risk, multi-year projects, strategies, goals, and business ventures
- Drive evidencable and sustainable stronger risk and control culture in I&P and globally where possible
- Provides guidance and works closely with the leaders in the respective organizations in the establishment of controls in alignment with Enterprise and functional policies and standards.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and risk control development by overseeing strategy and execution of all activities
- Innovate and automate leveraging reporting and analytic capabilities enhancing operational excellence
- Collaborate with and influence key stakeholders such as corporate heads, business heads, Independent Risk Management, legal, audit, regulators, industry partners, and elected officials
- Manage allocation of people and financial resources to ensure commitments are met and aligned with strategic objectives for Control organization
- Develop and guide a culture of talent development to meet objectives and strategy
The successful candidate will also work closely with Senior Executives across the respective businesses and with other Control Executives in the development and execution of company risk management strategies. Accordingly, critical success factors will include the ability to develop partnerships with many functional areas, provide insight into the regulatory climate, and identify trends which may present opportunities or reflect gaps in the Company’s strategic execution/direction.
The candidate must have the skills and competencies to exercise the stature and authority of the role to effectively challenge business leaders and members of the leadership team to ensure that risks are identified and remediated, and that remediation is sustained with a robust control environment. S/he will demonstrate effectiveness in building and maintaining a high performing team, focused on driving results through leadership effectiveness and team member engagement; contributing to broad risk management strategy with a One Wells Fargo lens by living the vision and values of Wells Fargo. This collaborative leader must be capable of initiating action and managing change. It requires a leader with strong relationship management, influencing, vision and execution skills. A key differentiator will be the ability to understand and operate successfully in a complex, heavily matrixed corporate environment. The role requires a sense of urgency, passion for results, and personal accountability for achievement.
Required Qualifications, International:
- 10+ years of Risk Management or Business Controls experience, or equivalent demonstrated through one or a combination of the following: work experience, training, military experience, education
- 5+ years of Management experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 18+ years of overall experience with a minimum of 10 years in Control, Operational Risk Management, or Operations disciplines, including experience in a captive unit of a MNC financial institution
- Effective understanding and execution of risk management programs, including Risk and Control Self-Assessment (RCSA), Enterprise Risk Identification & Assessment (ERIA) and Issues Management
- Knowledge and experience in the US banking system with specific experience with key regulators (OCC, FRB, FINRA)
- Knowledge of operational risk & compliance framework, primarily in the banking industry and its related operations. Proficiency and understanding nuances of front-line control reporting
- Demonstrate collaboration, strong negotiation, communication, presentation, and influence skills; ability to build and lead a team across multiple geographies
- Experience working horizontally across an organization and participating in enterprise-wide implementations of major policy and relevant risk programs
- Proven ability in exercising independent judgment and applying prudent risk mitigation principles. This includes timely escalation, and an unwavering focus on remediating gaps
- Consulting experience with senior management teams. Ability to work well in teams
- Experience in Risk Management, Business Controls, or equivalent demonstrated through one or a combination of the following: work experience, training, military experience, education
- Large scale change delivery management and transformation experience
- Extensive global leadership experience in building interconnected and effective organizations
- Experience leading and driving across a large scope and breadth of responsibility with multiple key stakeholders across all lines of defense
- Experience presenting to executive committee members
- An advanced degree is preferred
Beyond experience, the right personal style and attitude are critical to success in this role.
- Strategic Leadership – Creating and achieving a desired future state vision through influence on individual and group goals, reinforcements and systems
- Results oriented with outstanding ability to motivate teams and mobilize the resources to accomplish objectives
- A true team player and collaborator, translating prior knowledge and experience into strong and productive relationships internally and externally
- Organizational Awareness – Having and using knowledge of systems, situations, pressures, and culture within the company to identify potential organizational problems and opportunities; perceiving the impact and the implications of decisions on other components of the company as well as the impact on investors, customers, and clients
- A respected partner who adds value to the broader team
- A strong and effective manager and leader, capable of attracting, mentoring, retaining and promoting talented and productive staff
- An impeccable reputation for integrity, accuracy, consistency, detail orientation and business acumen
- A self-starter with a working knowledge of risk management fundamentals and policy creation.
- Dedicated, enthusiastic, driven and performance-oriented; possesses a strong work ethic
- Able to effectively and constructively lead change in an organization
We Value Diversity
At Wells Fargo, we believe in diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace; accordingly, we welcome applications for employment from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, individuals with disabilities, pregnancy, marital status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Employees support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in US: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in Canada: Applications for employment are encouraged from all qualified candidates, including women, persons with disabilities, aboriginal peoples and visible minorities. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available upon request in connection with the recruitment process.