About this role:
Wells Fargo is seeking a Vice President to join Wells Fargo Strategic Capital and focus on private equity / debt and venture capital investments in the healthcare / life sciences industry. This position offers tremendous opportunity for a high-energy candidate who is a motivated self-starter.
Wells Fargo Strategic Capital (WFSC) is the primary merchant banking platform of Wells Fargo & Company. Our capital solutions include non-control equity, private credit, and investments in approved Small Business Investment Company (SBIC) funds. We partner with companies across their entire lifecycle, providing venture capital and growth equity to early-stage technology and healthcare businesses, as well as patient debt and non-control equity to well established, more mature businesses across most sectors, including healthcare. WFSC has over 30 investment professionals across the United States.
The Healthcare Division of WFSC pursues debt and equity investments across all sectors of the healthcare / life sciences industry including healthcare services, HCIT/digital health, medical devices/diagnostics/products, and life science tools/biopharma. The team is comprised of people with deep experience in healthcare and private capital investing. Investment size typically ranges from $5MM to $50MM per investment with flexibility to be larger in certain instances. WFSC’s healthcare group can lead a financing syndicate, follow another lead, or be a solo investor. There is flexibility in the stage of development of companies of interest, but the primary focus is on private companies with commercially available products/services and proven business models. We value a team-based approach to investing, focus on results with appropriate balance, effective and transparent communication, diversity and inclusion, and generating financial returns with healthcare companies that benefit patients and improve our healthcare system.
In this role, you will:
- Be an integral team member involved in interaction with internal and external constituents including portfolio companies, partner investors, other Wells Fargo lines of business, and the WFSC investment committee
- Serve as a key contributor to deal teams in all aspects of the investment process including sourcing, evaluating, closing, and portfolio engagement
- Work on a broad array of creative financial structures to provide solutions for some of the most interesting and exciting companies in the world
- Have direct responsibility for deal execution, including leading or overseeing financial modeling, due diligence, preparing investment proposals, and closing
- Post investment duties include portfolio monitoring, internal reporting and compliance reviews
- Participate in operational work such as continual refinement of investment strategy, marketing support, and administrative processes
- In partnership with the others, be responsible for training and mentoring team members
- Evaluate opportunities with appropriate lens of risk, reward, and overall portfolio construction
- Coordinate with network contacts to determine opportunities for business development
- Have the opportunity for upward advancement for the right candidate
- Report to the head of the WFSC Healthcare Division
- 4+ years of experience in Strategic Investment Management, or equivalent demonstrated through one or a combination of the following: work experience, training, military experience, education
4+ years of experience in one or a combination of: venture capital, private equity/debt, investment banking, strategy consulting, or equivalent demonstrated through one or a combination of the following: work experience, training, education. A portion of this may be offset with positions such as entrepreneurial operational roles and clinical roles such as practicing as a physician
- Experience evaluating and executing investment transactions related to private equity, private credit, or venture capital related products
- Passion for, knowledge of, and experience with the healthcare industry including life sciences (e.g., medical devices, life science tools, etc.), healthcare services, and/or digital health
- Strong skills in financial modeling (e.g., analyze financial statements, create financial models, private capital valuation methodologies) and deal execution for private capital transactions and ability to mentor Associates in those areas
- Strong integrity, work ethic, and team player
- Graduate level degree (e.g., MBA, MD, PhD) strongly preferred
- Ability to work independently or in teams and thrive in a fast paced, loosely-structured, entrepreneurial environment
- High level of initiative and accountability
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong accounting skills and ability to analyze financial statements
- Advanced Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) skills
- 420 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, California - $144,400-$300,000
Salary range is determined by location of the job. May be considered for a discretionary bonus, Restricted Share Rights, or other long-term incentive awards.
Pay Range$144,400.00 - $300,000.00 Annual
Wells Fargo provides all eligible full- and part-time employees with a comprehensive set of benefits designed to protect their physical and financial health and to help them make the most of their financial future. Visit Benefits - Wells Fargo Careers for an overview of the following benefit plans and programs offered to employees.
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Parental Leave
- Critical Caregiving Leave
- Discounts and Savings
- Health Benefits
- Commuter Benefits
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Scholarships for dependent children
- Adoption Reimbursement
We Value Diversity
At Wells Fargo, we believe in diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace; accordingly, we welcome applications for employment from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, individuals with disabilities, pregnancy, marital status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Employees support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.
Candidates applying to job openings posted in US: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Drug and Alcohol Policy
Wells Fargo maintains a drug free workplace. Please see our Drug and Alcohol Policy to learn more.