Consumer Loan Underwriter (SAFE) 5 - ACOApply now Job ID 5508343
At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially. We’re looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you’ll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
Consumer Banking is an industry leader in supporting homeowners and consumers, in addition to operating one of the most extensive banking franchises in the country. We serve mass market, affluent, and small business customers; as well as provide home and personal lending. Our focus is on delivering an exceptional experience for our customers through financial advice and guidance coupled with providing the products and services that will help them realize their financial hopes and dreams. We’ve built our team of top professionals by rewarding their accomplishments and ensuring they have what's needed to succeed.
Wells Fargo's Consumer Lending Group (CLG) is an industry leader in supporting homeowners and consumers. We put customers at the center of all that we do. We make every decision - and design every product and service - with our customers in mind.
It starts with you. We must attract, develop, retain and motivate the most talented people - those who care and who work together as partners across business units and functions. We value and promote diversity and inclusion in every aspect of our business and at every level of our organization.
The CLG team includes Home Lending, Consumer Credit Card, Personal Loans and Lines, Direct Auto, Dealer Services, Commercial Auto, Retail Services and Education Financial Services including the professional services teams that partner with these businesses - Human Resources, Finance, Credit Risk, and Compliance & Operational Risk.
- Join the #1 Mortgage originator and servicer (Source: Inside Mortgage Finance)
Our Mortgage team supports the nation's leading originator and servicer of residential mortgages. National Underwriting and Production Risk Management (NUPRM) provides support for transaction underwriting, managing production risk, and implementation of policies and procedures that support the home lending process.
As part of Wells Fargo Home Lending, NUPRM identifies and adopts best practices and controls in relation to retail mortgage products. The WBR Alliance team provides decisioning support for Wealth, Brokerage & Retirement (WBR) home lending transactions including Wealth Management and WFA.
This team is responsible for making credit decisions on all loans – initial decision, reconsideration, exception and 2nd level decisions.
- Analyzes most complex financial and credit information for high dollar customer loans according to business unit standards
- Underwrites high dollar loans with higher aggregate credit exposure and may manage a more complex portfolio
- Underwriting exception work streams that cannot be decisioned through the decision tool
- Compiles, analyzes, and documents loan data and credit risk, borrower and property information
- Determines decisions/exceptions beyond the decisioning authority levels of less experienced underwriters
- May negotiate loan provisions
- Mentors or review analysis of less experienced underwriters and may provide credit policy direction to underwriting managers in the field
This SAFE position has customer contact and job duties which may include the offering/negotiating of terms and/or taking an application for a dwelling secured transaction. As such, this position requires compliance with the S.A.F.E. Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008 and all related regulations. Ongoing employment is contingent upon meeting all such requirements, including acceptable background investigation results. Individuals in a SAFE position also must meet the Loan Originator requirements under Regulation Z (LO) outlined in the job expectations below.
Other Desired Qualifications
- Knowledge and understanding of underwriting: non-conforming loan process
- Operational support exposure; preferably in the Wells Fargo Wealth and Investment Management (WIM) line of business
- Ability to review personal or business financial statements and tax returns (commercial and individual)
- Experience with exception authority, second level reviews, government / conventional exceptions
- Extensive underwriting experience which includes experience in reviewing Self-employment, Corporate, and Partnerships tax returns
- Advanced asset analysis and experience working with all types, and extensive experience with layering risk and evaluation
- Appraisal review background
All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.