Coverage Officer Consultant - Tax Accountant 4Apply now Job ID 5363467 Schedule Type Reg-Time Work Hours 40 Location Minneapolis, Minnesota, Washington, Washington, D.C., Charlotte, North Carolina;
It starts with you. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain and motivate the most talented people - those who care and who work together as partners across business units and functions. We value and promote diversity and inclusion in every aspect of our business and at every level of our organization.
At Wells Fargo, we invest in our people. Our diverse lines of business offer unique opportunities to expand your knowledge and advance your career.
Corporate Risk provides leadership, enhances communications, assists with problem identification and solutions, and shares best practices. In addition, this group provides an enterprise-wide view of risk, assists management and our Board of Directors in identifying and monitoring risks that may affect multiple lines of business, and takes appropriate action when business activities exceed the risk tolerance of the company.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS):
This position is within the Wholesale Group Risk Office (WGRO) to help Wholesale meet its regulatory requirements related to customer information tax reporting. Essential responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
- Implement/operationalize tax laws with LOB Tax Control Officers (TCO), advising on tax requirements and performing research in support of tax functions
- Serve as a subject matter expert on any domestic tax matters, including but not limited to FATCA, Non-Resident Alien withholding and reporting, backup withholding, Cost Basis, Original Issue Discount, structured product issues and serves as integral member of the tax team on tax matters
- Serve as tax subject matter expert regarding LoB applicable tax laws including evaluating new/changed laws, impact assessment, and supporting product implementation
- Work with Governance Program Manager and LOB TCOs to ensure payment matrices are maintained.
- Work with TCOs on Procedure Development and Maintenance
- Assessment of system changes (i.e. rule application, validation updates, BRD review)
- Assist with identification and documentation for self-identified issues and actions; coordinate with Tax Issues Manager for escalations
- Partner with LoB Risk Management and TCOs to support remediation or resolution of critical issues
- Work with Strategic Risk Assessment team to evaluate testing or assessment results for respective LoB
- Drive business process improvements, best practices, and assist with implementation and transition efforts
- Responsible for understanding products and process controls to oversee tax risks that the products and services pose and how those are being managed.
- Work with Tax Compliance Reporting Manager to maintain controls inventory
- Partner with Tax Compliance Reporting Manager to facilitate or coordinate information/data for control metrics
- Support gap closure from Strategic Risk assessments perform by Tax Governance
- Assist in prioritization of work efforts as determined by risk level of tax risk items
Performs the most complex tax accounting activities related to the preparation of federal and state tax returns. Prepares comprehensive tax workpapers, performs complex account analysis, prepares responses to audit requests, research memos, tax correspondence and looks for improvement in policies and procedures for the maintenance of tax-related records. Maintains high level of knowledge of federal and state income tax laws, rulings, regulations and judicial decisions and develops high level of expertise in assigned areas. Develops relationships with assigned business units related to the collection and analysis of information important to income tax accounting and/or compliance and assists in directing corporate policy with respect to complex income tax issues. Responds to inquiries regarding tax policies and procedures. Performs analysis of complex transactions and researches opportunities to minimize income taxes and management of income tax risks. Performs tax research and takes leadership role in the collection and communication of information in response to inquiries from federal and state income tax auditors. May direct the work of less experienced staff. May be recognized as an expert in one or more areas of tax law.
Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) is a diversified, community-based financial services company. Founded in 1852 and headquartered in San Francisco, Wells Fargo provides banking, insurance, investments, mortgage, and consumer and commercial finance through our many locations, ATMs, the internet (wellsfargo.com) and mobile banking. To learn more, Wells Fargo perspectives are also available at Wells Fargo Blogs and Wells Fargo Stories.
Other Desired Qualifications
- U.S. Tax reporting expertise and expertise in US tax rules
- Juris Doctorate, Masters of Taxation or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent certification.
- Prior experience with major accounting firm, law firm, financial services company or multinational company.
- Experience advising operations in a financial services environment including experience leading tax reporting teams through process design / reengineering initiatives with quantifiable results
- Demonstrates knowledge of technical tax onboarding, withholding, reporting and required tax compliance
- Ability to independently evaluate tax issues and apply sound business judgment with minimal oversight
- Leadership experience with senior management interaction.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills to convey complex tax issues, opportunities, and risks to non-tax experts in a clear and concise manner.
All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.