Managing Counsel - Global ServicesApply now Job ID 5373265 Schedule Type Reg-Time Work Hours 40 Location San Francisco, California, Los Angeles, California, Charlotte, North Carolina;
Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) is a diversified, community-based financial services company with $1.9 trillion in assets. Founded in 1852 and headquartered in San Francisco, Wells Fargo provides banking, insurance, investments, mortgage, and consumer and commercial finance through more than 9,000 stores, 12,000 ATMs, the Internet (wellsfargo.com), and has offices in more than 35 countries to support the bank’s customers who conduct business in the global economy. With more than 265,000 team members, Wells Fargo serves one in three households in the United States. Wells Fargo & Company was ranked No. 26 on Fortune’s 2012 rankings of America’s largest corporations. Wells Fargo’s vision is to satisfy all our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially.
Our diversity of business lines makes us much more than a bank. We're a diversified financial services company. Our diversity helps us weather downturns that inevitably affect any one segment of our industry.
Wells Fargo Law Department
The Wells Fargo Law Department strives to offer services in accordance with the highest standards of judgment, integrity, and ethical leadership.
The Law Department partners with clients to find solutions that best serve customers and contribute to the success of Wells Fargo. It seeks to create a stimulating, diverse, and collegial work environment in which team members collaborate effectively among themselves and with other groups throughout the company.
This Managing Counsel will manage and lead a team of lawyer and paralegal professionals and will empower strategic and effective legal support and legal risk guidance for all aspects of an enterprise global workforce (representing over 80% of Wells Fargo’s global headcount) performing back-office, administrative, technology, information security, knowledge analytics services for businesses and corporate staff functions throughout Wells Fargo, with a close and constant inter-connection with Wells Fargo’s corporate risk management, information risk management, and vendor risk management.
The Managing Counsel will be a seasoned lawyer practitioner who has had years of direct, practical, “on the ground” experience in offshoring financial services to international resources, both in-house and vendor. The successful candidate will have at least 5 years of solid and continuous experience. Anyone without this minimum level of experience need not apply.
The Managing Counsel will be part of a Law Department section called eCommerce, Technology, Information & Global Services (eTIGS) with legal coverage which, in addition to the above Global Services coverage, includes ecommerce, mobile commerce, mobile payments, fintech innovation, enterprise global technology, IT-based operations, and enterprise records management. This legal section is part of the Banking, Operations, Commerce and Global Risk Division of the Law Department.
The Managing Counsel will be a coach-player or owner-operator, having both the substantive knowledge and seasoned practical expertise in the above areas to be a strategic team leader, champion of transformational change, and clear and effective communicator with responsibility and accountability to:
- Manage, lead, and motivate a global legal team to provide first-rate legal advice and counsel for Wells Fargo’s Enterprise Global and Transformation Services (EGS) and corporate shared-services teams.
Responsibilities will include:
- Having a broad and comprehensive foundation of knowledge in retail, consumer, business, and wholesale financial products and services and understanding financial back-office operations and operational risk management.
- Guiding EGS and a wide variety of Wells Fargo’s retail, consumer, business, and wholesale businesses and their IT, data management, and risk counterparts transition (transfer), from Wells Fargo’s U.S. and non-U.S. locations to Wells Fargo’s EGS locations mainly in India and the Philippines, functions, applications, and work flows in business process operations, IT, and knowledge analytics. Primary legal activity is to ensure the legal, regulatory, third-party contractual, and reputational permissibility of each proposed offshoring transition through legal risk due diligence.
- Strategically advising Law Department line-of-business legal counsel, risk-management and compliance stakeholders, IT database management, and data-protection subject matter experts in conducting the above.
- Conducting and complying with corporate governance and recordkeeping processes for EGS’ legal entities (in India, the Philippines, and the U.S.) and meeting all legal and regulatory requirements for board of directors and shareholders meetings, resolutions, and other governance requirements.
- Designing and developing holistic legal, operational, and IT solutions for EGS’ access and use of global customer, client, and employee data in Wells Fargo’s transitions of work to EGS resources, including cross-border data transfers.
- Working closely with Wells Fargo’s Resolution and Recovery Planning (RRP) programs and ensuring rationalization, justification, and resolvability of EGS’ legal entities and inter-affiliate relationships and activities.
- Supporting inter-affiliate regulatory requirements and transfer-pricing issue resolution.
- Supervising and ensuring adequate and risk-based compliance with local laws in which EGS operates globally, and primarily in Asia and Latin America.
- Coordinate, lead, and participate as needed with other Law Department teams to deliver to stakeholders comprehensive, holistic, cohesive, and easy-to-understand legal analysis, advice, and support within the Managing Counsel’s areas of responsibility. Stakeholders will include business groups across the enterprise and related risk, compliance, and audit teams.
- Cultivate and maintain strong, steady, and trusted relationships with executive officers and senior leaders in risk management and compliance in the above subject-matter areas.
- Significantly contribute to positive team building, collaboration, and effective communication within and outside the Law Department.
- Align with Law Department policies and procedures as well as Wells Fargo Vision and Values and corporate policies and standards in performing legal services and managing outside counsel and legal expense.
- Develop team members in their professional growth and leadership style and effectiveness and in their visibility to senior leaders in the Law Department, EGS, and the Company.
This job description may not represent all duties of the Managing Counsel; there may be other related duties as needed. The position will be in Charlotte, NC, San Francisco, CA, or Los Angeles, CA, at the option of the hiring manager.
Other Desired Qualifications
Significant expertise in legal, regulatory, and compliance issues relating to enterprise global IT, IT operations, ecommerce, mobile commerce, mobile payments, marketing, advertising, consumer financial products, wholesale banking products, and risk management of third-party relationships.
Experience leading a global legal team or cross-functional group in significant tasks or projects.
Ability to lead, work seamlessly, and communicate effectively with senior management, broad stakeholder teams, and project leaders across multiple disciplinary areas of responsibility and geographic locations, keeping everyone strategically informed and engaged at the right time.
Ability to positively and effectively lead and motivate the team to prioritize work, meet deadlines, achieve goals, and work effectively, efficiently, and with intensity in a dynamic and complex environment.
Ability to exercise good judgment and make critical decisions under pressure.
Ability to adapt to and support change in a dynamic work environment.
Ability to inspire, motivate, and lead by example.
Beyond experience, the right personal style and attitude are critical to success in this role. Attributes to have:
Effective leadership skills
Strong and influential written and oral communications skills
Experience in advising senior business leaders
o Build and maintain professional relationships with key Wells Fargo constituents, U.S. and global regulators, trade groups, and industry peers.
o Appropriately delegate responsibilities to ensure work is performed at the right level.
o Effectively lead and manage change and help others to do so.
o Collaborate with other members in the Law Department and ensure that direct reports similarly collaborate.
o Effectively manage risk, including emerging risks.
o Identify issues and propose practical and holistic solutions.
o Establish and execute team goals and objectives and execute externally-imposed goals and objectives.
o Organize teams, set expectations and produce timely and actionable advice.
o Inspire and mentor the team and others outside the team to meet high performance standards and to partner and collaborate.
o Resolve problems and conflicts realistically.
CA-SF-South Of Market Area: 45 Fremont Street - San Francisco, CA
CA-LA-Downtown Los Angeles: 333 S Grand Avenue - Los Angeles, CA
NC-Charlotte: 301 S College St - Charlotte, NC
All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.