Senior UnderwriterJob ID 63033BR
About Wells Fargo
Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) is a leading global financial services company headquartered in San Francisco (United States). Wells Fargo has offices in over 20 countries and territories. Our business outside of the U.S. mostly focuses on providing banking services for large corporate, government and financial institution clients. We have worldwide expertise and services to help our customers improve earnings, manage risk, and develop opportunities in the global marketplace. Our global reach offers many opportunities for you to develop a career with Wells Fargo. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you will feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience. We are looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
Market Job Description
The CDF China Portfolio Management & Underwriting (PMU) Team is centralized in Shanghai and is responsible for 1st line credit management for the business including underwriting (new customers, credit limit increases and annual reviews) and portfolio management (collections, monitoring and problem loan management).
The team comprises experienced credit professionals with a focus on ensuring risks are identified and managed appropriately and escalated to senior management, including Independent Risk Management (IRM, 2nd line risk management) as necessary and in a timely manner whilst also ensuring first class customer service.
The CDF China PMU Team is part of the wider CDF APAC PMU organization.
About the Role
Senior Underwriter will report directly to the Head of Credit. The role will be responsible for risk assessing complex/higher value inventory finance/floorplan dealer and vendor opportunities and assessing the ongoing risk profile of existing customer exposure and manage the approval process in accordance with internal policies and procedures. The role will be based in Shanghai.
- Underwriting dealer and vendor opportunities including MNCs assessing both the credit risk profile of potential customers and historic operational in-life performance where increases to existing facilities are requested
- Providing guidance and support for more junior underwriters and the Commercial team
- Carrying out rigorous annual risk reviews of existing customers, incorporating credit risk assessment and in-life operational performance
- Lead the deal structuring discussions with Commercial based on risk profile of the customer and internal strike zone
- Liaising closely with cross-functional colleagues to ensure timely and thorough underwriting assessments
- Liaising with customers for due diligence
- Acting timeously upon 3rd party information which could have an adverse impact upon the risk profile of existing customers
- Supporting the new business teams on customer visits where PMU presence is deemed appropriate due to the size or risk profile of particular deals
- Lead in preparation and presentation of formal credit approval request to requisite approval authorities as well as manage and administer the deal approval process
- Manage & administer initial legal documentation of transaction, security registration, and insurance cover application and approval, and other form of credit enhancement incl. cash deposits
- Build awareness and experience of credit insurance as a key risk mitigant.
Market Skills and Certifications
- 5+ years of proven experience in commercial credit underwriting or financial analysis
- Fluency in English (able to write reports in English to high standard) & Mandarin
- Strong teamwork values and strong work ethic and commitment
- Professional customer / associate / colleague relationship skills
- Multi-skilled and versatile with ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work proactively to solve problems and work independently
- Able to work under tight schedules to a high quality and consistently meet objectives.
- Clear concise written & oral communication
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) programs
- Readily able to adapt to using business tools to support role e.g. Salesforce.com, Business Objects, AIMS.
- Understand products/services offered
- Work within the framework of company regulations e.g. data protection, ensuring compliance at all times
- Ability to stay abreast of market and portfolio trends and industry best practices
- Underwriting experience in a banking/ leasing/ financial services environment
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in Finance, Accounting or Business
- CFA, FRM, MBA, CPA preferred
We Value Diversity
At Wells Fargo, we believe in diversity and inclusion in the workplace; accordingly, we welcome applications for employment from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by applicable law. We comply with all applicable laws in every jurisdiction in which we operate.
Team members support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.